Saturday, May 22, 2010

Irish Carbomb Cupcakes of Awesomeness

I have recently returned from the beautiful Mendocino coast to come back to the deafening noise of the city. We were up there to celebrate my father's birthday and my husband's 30th birthday with a BBQ and a keg. (The keg was North Coast Red Seal for those of you interested and yes I did use it to baste the 65 lb pig that we roasted...and yes it was amazingly delicious!) However, while I was up there my good friend Marina decided to surprise us with *drum roll* IRISH CARBOMB CUPCAKES!!!! There is a little cupcake shop up in Cotati (they also have locations in Napa and Santa Rosa) named Sift, that carries an array of tasty and not to mention visually stimulating cupcakes. These cupcakes were so good that on our way back south we had to stop and bought whatever was left of that days batch! Well sadly we're done with what small supply we had but apparently that was not enough and my husband reminded me that I didn't make him a cake for his birthday and he "wants carbomb cupcakes!" So this is the recipe that I came up with. Where I don't know how exactly Sift makes them or their exact recipe I decided to adapt my own based on the inspiration.

ProTip: I made my cupcakes mini. Maximize cuteness, minimize caloric intake!

What you will need for the cake part:

4tbsp of unsweetened coco (or 4OZ unsweetened chocolate, tempered)

1.5 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter, at room temp

1.25 cups sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)

1/2 cup sour cream

3/4 cup Guinness

Heat the oven to 375f and line the cupcake tin with those cute little paper cups

sift the four, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

Beat the butter and sugar in a large separate bowl until it's nice and creamy.

Slowly mix in the coco (or melted chocolate)

Add the eggs one at a time till each is well beaten into the mix

Add the Vanilla and the sour cream until you see no more white and the mix has lightened.

Slowly add half the flour mixture but don't over beat.

Add the beer.

Add the rest of flour mixture until it's just mixed in.

Fill the cups and bake till you can stick a tooth pick in and it comes out clean (approx 25 minutes)

...

For the Irish Butter Cream:

2 sticks of butter at room temp (In the words of Julia Child "You can never have too much butter!)

2 cups of confectioners sugar (you may want to add more depending on your taste)

1/4 cup Bailey's or other Irish Cream Liquor

Blend till smooth!


...............................

ASSEMBLAGE

Now here's where I'm sure my recipe differs :D

Cool off your Guinness Muffins on a rack! When they're cool poke them with a fork or tooth pick and make a few little holes on top. With an eye dropper, small baster, or straw- Drip Jameson (or Irish Whiskey of your choice) on to the top to saturate just the tops but to not make it soggy. Then pipe on your icing and decorate as you wish!

-------

I know this is probably what you would consider a "St.Patricks Day Blog" but I'm not Irish so I don't care. I don't need it to be St. Patty's Day to enjoy an Irish Carbomb do you? I didn't think so!

If you are however, in California's beautiful Wine country do make a stop at Sift! They have everything from Pink champagne to Black Cherry bliss cupcakes. They're seriously to die for!

I hope you enjoy the recipe and I look forward to hearing your reviews and how yours came out, so leave me a comment in the section below!

Next up I'm celebrating (the very tail end) of American Craft Beer Week at Stone Brewery tomorrow in Escondido so check back with me for a review of that awesomeness coming your way!

5 comments:

Mmmm that looks absolutely delicious! :)

I'm going to make these someday sooooon. Your blog is amazing!!! <3<3<3

got a chance to finally try some of these.... They were soooo amazing! some of the best cupcakes I have had by far!

definitely delicious cupcakes. :D

http://irishcarbomb.com/

Awesome! Tis' the season after all! Cheers to all at irishcarbomb.com!

Post a Comment