Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hopped up Jalapenos

I love to use inspiration from my Mexican and Russian heritage as often as possible when cooking. Whether I'm adding jicama to salad or a splash of pepper to a dish, staying rooted to my heritage has never steered me in the wrong direction. This is why I decided that pickling up some jalapenos would be the best addition to summer barbecues and warm nights. 

Keeping in mind that hops magnify the heat of peppers I decided to pickle some mild jalapenos in an extra hoppy pale ale to give them some kick and also bring out the citrusy notes of the hot pepper and the coriander!

Beer Pickled Jalapenos

2tbsp honey
1tbsp salt
2tsp whole coriander
1tsp whole mustard seed
pinch of whole pepper corns
juice from one lime
1/3 cup golden balsamic
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 cups of beer (I used Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale)
7 mild jalapenos

-Slice up your jalapenos thinly and set aside in heat proof container
-Add honey, salt, spices, vinegars, lime juice, and 1 cup of the beer to a pot and simmer
-Simmer pickling liquid for about 5 minutes
-Add 1/2 cup of beer and remove from heat for a couple minutes
-Pour liquid over sliced jalapenos and cover container
-You can enjoy them after about 2 hours and they will keep for a couple weeks if properly refrigerated!

Pair your jalapenos with grilled meats, tacos, charcuterie and of course a refreshing beer!
Don't forget to share pictures of your Hopped up Jalapenos with me on Instagram with #fugglybrew!


0 comments:

Post a Comment